Water with high mineral deposits (aka “hard water”) can dry and tangle your tresses. I came across a site that gave some insightful info about hard water damage and how it makes the hair hard to manage:
What does hard water do?
- The calcium and magnesium in hard water coats and builds up on everything the water comes into contact with, including your hair and scalp.
- The buildup leaves hair coated and unmanageable, sometimes rough. The coating prevents conditioners from working directly on the hair strand.
- The minerals dry out the hair.
EEK! Doesn’t sound attractive huh?
But get this. Around 85% of American homes are believed to yield hard water!
So what can you do about it??
Some possible options:
1. Get a filtering unit for your shower
2. Use quality shampoos/conditioners that are highly moisturizing
3. Deep condition (get under a dryer for 10-20 minutes to maximize the treatment before washing the conditioner out of hair)
for more info check out the full article: http://naturalhair.dpsyko.net/when-water-isnt-such-a-good-thing/