I said I would share my ponytail roller set experience, so here goes. I did this a couple months ago, and have been planning to post the results for awhile ever.
This is basically a low-heat method to get your hair straight or stretched. It’s also great for naturals or transitioners because it’s quicker and easier than a traditional roller set – plus, the ponytails allow for more ease with straightening roots.
– Cleansed hair with Apple Cider Vinegar & Water mix
– Conditioned with Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Roller Set How -To & Pics:
1. I did 4 ponytails down the middle (mohawk style) then 4 on each side. Used black satin pontytail holders that don’t pull out/snag hair.
2. I used a spray bottle of water and HE Long Term Relationship Leave-In to “set” my hair. I sprayed each section before rolling, to make sure it was soaking wet, easier to roll and less prone to frizz while drying.
3. Use a fine tooth comb to help comb detangled length and ends over roller. Make sure to keep the roller pulled taut, since this aids in the straightening process!
** I wouldn’t recommend the pins I used in the pics below! They weren’t bad or anything, but I made do with them. I much prefer the ones I have now – duckbill clips. These are the standard clips most sane people use while roller setting. **
** I used medium sized rollers to set each ponytail firmly in places (with pins) – You may need larger or smaller rollers depending on length of hair: longer hair = larger rollers; shorter hair = smaller rollers **
4. Sat under dryer until hair was completely dry.
5. Lightly flat ironed each ponytail section with Sedu on low setting – *could have done without this step – next time, I’ll cut out the flat iron entirely to see results.
6. Saran wrapped hair and sat under dryer for 15 min – this takes some of the “bulk” or weight out of your hair, if you want a silky-straighter look.
The whole sectioning/ponytail and roller setting process (minus the time under dryer) only took about an hour. Also, this was my first time trying a roller set this way – It wasn’t perfect, but it was surprisingly nice! I intend to get faster with practice.